Friday, March 2, 2012

Need Something New to Read??

Then you've come to the right place! See, as it happens, I am a book fanatic. I must admit I have not read the Twilight saga or the Harry Potter series (well, I've read the first three but I'll talk about that in a minute...). This is simply a personal choice. I have never had any desire to read Twilight, the movies suck and the glimpse at the first book that I did take completely disgusted me. Do not ask me to read them... I won't. As for the Harry Potter series... Well, their very well written--I did read the first three books, but you know that ;), and I've seen all the movies--I mean, really super entertaining, and the movies are definitely put together very well. But I don't like the magic. I read about magic all the time, fantasy is by far my favorite genre, but this is real witch craft and I don't like it. I know people who have gone wiccan over the HP books.

Soo moving on to that list. As I like organizing things, I am going to group them in shorter books and longer books. So here goes:

SHORTER (About 300 - 400 pages)

Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins) - We all knew this would be first. The three books (Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay), all of them about 400 pages, are some of the best books I've ever read. Definitely contenders for my #1 favorite series. They are riveting, exciting, the characters are real... And lots of twists. I'm a fan of twists. I must admit that I was a doubter before I read them. I thought they would be stupid, but I couldn't be more wrong. Description: A girl has to fight in the Hunger Games, where she either kills or gets killed. There can only be one victor, she must choose between love and her life.

Heir Apparent (Vivian Vande Velde) - One of my all time favorite books. I've read it at least a dozen times. If I have nothing to read, I'll just pick it up and read it. I never get tired of it. Description: A girl gets caught up in a virtual world, normally just a game, where she has to either win the game or loose her life.

Need (Carrie Jones) - Another all time favorite, along with the other books in the series Captivate and Entice. The fourth and final book is to be released later this year. Description: A girl is roughly thrown into the world of pixies and weres (shape shifters) after the death of her step-dad.

Books of Ember (Jeanne DuPrau) - I've read the three books (Prophet of Yonwood, City of Ember and the People of Sparks) a few times. Their entertaining, not my favorite but not a boring read. Description: An image of the world in the future, what it'll be like and how we'll survive.

Fairest (Gail Carson Levine) - Another book like Heir Apparent, these are my two favorite books to re-read and re-read when there is nothing new to read. In fact, I love all GCL's books. Most of them are short and sweet and fun to read. Description: An ugly maiden tries to find beauty and finds her life in danger along the way.

Thief Lord (Cornelia Funke) - So entertaining! I love it! This is one of Funke's best, along with the Ink trilogy--but I'll get to that later, it's riveting. Description: A band of thieves in Venice trying to survive, but their leader has his own secrets.

The Series of Unfortunate Events (Lemony Snickett) - I've read the entire series and it's fantastic! I love how the author throws in how he was searching for this as if it were real. Love reading the hints for the next book after the story. You have to read them in order though, if you don't them they will not make sense at all lol. Description: The Baudelaire orphans have to conquer all odds to survive after their parents are killed in a house fire.

The Wish (Gail Carson Levine) - Like I said, all her stories are fun to read, she does spin offs of old fairy tales mostly, but this is one of her original books and I love it! Very fun to read! Description: A teenager makes a wish to be popular, but it backfires with unforeseen difficulties.

LONGER (Well.. Their longer :P)

Inheritance Series (Christopher Paolini)- #1 favorite series of all times. Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr and Inheritance. Of course, the Hunger Games is really giving it a run for it's money. Definitely a tie now. But beyond that, nothing has ever come close. It's exciting, riveting, unexpected, amazing. The last two books are the best, but you have to read the first two in order to understand them at all. They only break for a few days to a week or two in between the books. Description: A teenage boy finds a strange rock that turns out to be a dragon eggs, he becomes the only rider besides the evil king and must face him.
(^^ The movie for Eragon is stupid, don't watch it, the books are better.)

Ink Trilogy (Cornelia Funke) - Inkheart, Inkspell and Inkdeath. This is another really good series that I'd highly recommend. I go back and read them all the time, I love them. The mix between drama, love and action is exquisite. Description: A father and his daughter are gifted with the ability to literally bring things out of the books they read aloud, unfortunately something has to go back in to replace what comes out. They bring characters into our world from a book.
(^^ The movie for Inkheart is stupid, don't watch it, the books are better.)

The Infernal Devices (Cassandra Clare) - Two books so far: Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Prince. To tell you the truth I haven't read Clockwork Prince but I have read Clockwork Angel and I am getting into CP once I finish the series I'm on. CA was amazing and I'm sure CP will be just as good. Katniss from the Hunger Games is up against Tessa, from the Infernal Devices, for the YA Fiction Heroine for 2012! Not sure who to vote for yet... Description: A girl finds herself thrown into the world of make believe characters, or what she thought was make believe, to try and find her brother.
(^^ It's companion series, the Mortal Instruments, is also supposed to be really good.)

The Trickster's Series (Tamora Pierce) - Tricksters Choice and Tricksters Queen are some of the most amazing books I read. Pierce really did it with these. I want to read it's companion series, the Song of the Lioness quartet, soon. Description: Daughter of the first Lady Knight is kidnapped and sold into slavery in an enemy country.

So there you go, a whole bunch of books for you to read!
~Jessica <3

No comments:

Post a Comment